Monday, January 28, 2013

Precariously vicarious


It's 2013! So, happy new year!!! It's also Dinagyang today, so, happy Dinagyang, as well!

There's not that much that has happened so far this January. Except maybe that I have been reading a lot of books and watched a lot of movies lately to satiate my need to be thrown into lives that aren't my own because I can't find the time and resources (yet) to make mine less boring. In other words, I haven't really created (i.e. written or drawn or painted) anything myself lately. Guilty, puppy-eyed look with bottom lip quivering.




A quote from Chuck Palahniuk comes to mind: "My generation, all of our making fun of things isn't making the world any better... We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own." This is spoken by the character of Ms. Ida Mancini, in Palahniuk's "Choke," just one of the books I've rolled in bed with.

Other books are Haruki Murakami's short story collection "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman," Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldisimo's "Trese" graphic novels, Gerry Alanguilan's "Efren," (which I know I promised to write about but still haven't).

As for the movies, I've watched in the cinema "Les Miserables" the musical and "Life of Pi" which I know I should write about as well, if I want to remember what I liked about them, and also some DVDs that my niece let me copy from her hard drive -- Japanese animes like "The Girl who Leapt through Time," "Summer Wars," this cool stop-motion animation called "ParaNorman," and the latest cartoons "Hotel Transylvania" and "Jack Frost" which were actually terrible cam-rips by the Russians.

Oh, and there's the University Week, which I spent watching the Literary- Musical contests, and the Mr. and Ms. WVSU 2013. All of my January, therefore, has been spent almost vicariously.

Hope to do more though! I'm positive 2013 is going to be a fruitful year! Just gonna have to exert a lot of effort on my part! And I'm up for the challenge! Really. Seriously.

No comments: